Tuesday, June 21, 2016

SOS: Always a bridesmaid...

...sigh... then as we get older we become Matrons of Honor!

That will be my role in my best friend's wedding in September.  In fact, the big dress-shopping day (for all of us: the bride and bridal party) is this week! Wish us luck!

Speaking of shopping, how about shopping your stash with us girls at Shopping Our Stash as we use a dress or a dress form in celebrating the theme: Always a bridesmaid?! Okay, okay, open some champagne if it makes it easier! Pop!

This is what I finally ended up with:








Doesn't she just remind you of Delta Dawn just a-waitin' for her man?  (Anybody want to talk about old country?  I L-O-V-E it.)


Did you know Tanya Tucker was 13 years old when she recorded Delta Dawn?  I have an old Tanya Tucker disc in my CD stash... going to have to dig that out...

Supplies and notes:
  • The Catrina Paper Doll is from my favorite stamp set, made by Invoke Arts, in my stash for probably 5 years.  Stamped it with Ranger Archival right onto some of Tim's Eclctic Elements fabric (newest addition to my stash... I'm keeping it from becoming some hoarded item...)
  • I folded the fabric over and just did a running stitch with gold thread (in stash forever), and the value of the gold thread is lost on this step unless you actually see the doll IRL.  I then stuffed her with some "Fun Stuff" (in stash over 8 years) and got busy on her outfit!
  • All of the fabric aside from the base has been in my personal stash for over three years, but before that, it was in someone else's stash... old-ish stuff.  I stamped the skirt cage and top  with Ranger Archival also then sewed it on with more of the gold. Didn't the top turn out nice?
  • I embroidered D.D. into the back to stand for Delta Dawn... that's her name now.  Don't inspect my embroidery... I was never that good, and at this point in the project I just had to get the pig to the fair.  I added some French knots to her hat with the same wool floss (from my grandmother's collection), but these got covered by the tiny flowers...
  • ...which have been in my stash only about four months... made by The Paper Studio
  • Finally, I added some Liquid Pearls on the hat and as jewelry.  This bottle has been in my stash for probably 5 years... it's on it's last drops...
For the record, this project was oddly tough.  I used quite a bit of my stash on projects that I wasn't satisfied with!  I literally completed three projects and had three more I could have completed to submit for this challenge, but nothing was just right.  This morning I was about to just swallow my pride and submit something I wasn't stoked about when it hit me-- I would make a DOLL!  I hop you guys like her... For more inspiration, visit the gang at Shopping Our Stash!  See you over there!  

Sorry if I got Tanya Tucker stuck in your head...

Thanks for joining us at SOS!  Your craft supplies will thank you, too!

I'd also like to share this at Frilly and Funkie, as this project fits their current challenge of Pastels and Pearls!  Delta is definitely both frilly and funkie!

14 comments:

  1. OMG! I'm not sure what I love more, your Delta Dawn doll, or your blog post! LOL! This is just too cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yowza that is cooooooooool!!! so cool, in fact, that i can very nearly almost forgive you for the delta dawn earworm. *almost*... :0

    (ps: being slightly older than you, i actually have the helen reddy version stuck in my head now. hard to say if it's worse or not. but one suspects YES...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Delta Dawn is absolutely wonderful! Thanks for the upclose pics because it really showed her off! I love the bones!! Awesome sauce! Oh, and thanks for the Tanya Tucker! I had forgotten all about her and now want to go see more YouTube of her as I just love her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous job, I know the pressure of "not right" and I've had to post them occasionally funny part everyone else LOVES them. Love all your close up pictures of your doll. awesome job...humming Delta Dawn as I publish!! tyvm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Mimi
    I love your idea and looks so feminin
    but then I look at the other Photo you showed
    and I feel scary Mimi
    that is like nightmare at christmas time that the actor is the skull
    but I give you two thumbs up
    so creative Mimi
    now try to catch up
    I feel guilty :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness!!! This is so absolutely cool!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She definitely has a bit of funk with a lovely layer of frilly. Thanks for playing along with us at Frilly and Funkie's Pastel and Pearls challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mimi: Well, your Catrina doll is amazing, it reminds me of the Day of the Dead celebrations in Mexico on November 2nd. and this dressed up skeletons are colorful and fun just like your doll. The way you made this doll is a labor of love, amazingly crafty and beautifully detailed, from head to toe.
    Thank you for the music video, I played it while reading your fantastic post.
    Awesome job!!
    Hugs,
    Maria Rodriguez.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Mimi: Well, your Catrina doll is amazing, it reminds me of the Day of the Dead celebrations in Mexico on November 2nd. and this dressed up skeletons are colorful and fun just like your doll. The way you made this doll is a labor of love, amazingly crafty and beautifully detailed, from head to toe.
    Thank you for the music video, I played it while reading your fantastic post.
    Awesome job!!
    Hugs,
    Maria Rodriguez.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool project with so much wonderful detail! It must have taken a long time to put this together, but well worth it! Yep, I remember Tanya - and thanks for the earworm :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nicely done, Mimi! Very creative thinking!
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Delta Dawn is exceedingly creative, Mimi! She may have taken a significant time investment, but the results are worth it! Your role at your friend's wedding and upcoming shopping trip sound fabulous! Hope the dress selecting goes well!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun project in keeping with your project for the week - dress shopping. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, I did NOT know that! Amazing factoid! Your art doll is so clever! YOU win! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete