Friday, November 13, 2015

Viva La Verve Week 2

Here's the birthday card I made for my dear old dad:




I used this week's VLV sketch for my design:

Supplies:

  • Core'dinations cardstock, October Afternoon and My Mind's Eye DP
  • The car is an Echo Park Paper Co. sticker
  • I think the cadet-blue ribbon and brown brad are both BasicGrey... but they were just in my stash...
  • My circle shape was made using a Zig emboss writer with some Aged Silver Frantage, then of course, there's no stopping the Frantaging... it kind of ended up everywhere (wink), stuck largely with Tim's Embossing Pad
  • The inky edges and marks began as Tarnished Brass Distress Stain... hated it.  It was too orange. So I switched directions and used some Frayed Burlap... didn't like that either.  So I went back to my old stand-by: Color Box chalk in Creamy Brown... only I conducted a little magic: I used my Creamy Brown chalk refill ink with a blending tool... MAGICAL. So soft... no hard lines... creamy...
  • The tiny sentiment was typed with my old typewriter... it is always worth busting it out!
SOME DAD RECOGNITION: My dad is the best.  I spent a lot of time on his card,  and it's no where near adequate for what he deserves. He worships my mom, worked hard all his life,  does all the cooking, taught us all the value of frugality and generosity, and he pretty much knows everything about everything, and I still get the sense he could beat anyone at anything. He has never spoken much, but when he does, you'll laugh for days, sometimes years later. 

So now I'm a grown up, and he is still just this awesome dad: I heard Bath and Body Works is discontinuing a lotion that me and two of my coworkers love, but I don't live anywhere near Bath and Body Works, so I called my parents to see if they could go check around in their area. My mom called the next day and said my dad went spent $150 on lotions for me and my friends! (He won't accept money from me to pay him back-- he's way old-school). It just brings a tear to my eye, he is so sweet. 

3 comments:

  1. The way you added distressed layers makes your card look even more vintage, a great choice for this old car image. My father loves vintage cars, he has some that he has completely restored, so this card would've been perfect for him too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is awesome~my dad would love this too (he's all about old cars) ! Your dad is such a blessing and sounds like my dad's identical twin~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fantastic card. Love the patterns and that very cool car. Thanks for playing along with VLV!

    ReplyDelete