Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Tim's July Challenge, etc.

So, as my title suggests, this project was an attempt at Tim's Tag of July, 2016:

Image with gratuitous texture!
What a difference lighting makes...
The panel up to the addition of Frayed Burlap DI
Extreme close-up showing my imperfect sealing...
This just looked so pretty with the sunlight on it... had to take a pic...
Ewwww... unforgiving lighting!  Sloppy sealing!

Here are his graphics of the July remix:

Well, so I took a couple roads less traveled, but tried to get the overall "feel" of what Tim had done.

Supplies and notes:

The watercolor resist technique:
  • Started with a panel of watercolor paper and inked an Invoke Arts stamp with Archival
  • Painted the Invoke image with various DIs on the craft sheet, including Aged Mahogany, Pine Needles, Forest Moss, Tea Dye... I also added splashes of Tarnished Brass and Antique Bronze Distress Stains for the crowns
  • In order to seal, I used Distress Collage Medium in Matte... totally imperfect...
  • Heat-dried and then sprayed with Distress Stain in Pumice Stone.  Oh man: it totally bled under my sealed image and I was worried... but then I hit it with the heat tool and it settled down... thankfully...
  • Next, I went around the edges of the panel with Frayed Burlap DI and sprinkled a little water for some visual interest
  • Also added some speckles per Tim's suggestion with an old metallic marker.  Very subtle, but I like it.
The layered text technique... well, actually kind of... not reallly... I have one word die, and it's "joy"... didn't fit the project:
  • Sooo... for the background "word layer" I used Tim's Mixed Media thinlit that I thought would fit the best.  I cut into some centurian music paper and folded it around the watercolor panel, then affixed it on the backside with 7 Gypsies masking tape.
  • Because I liked the look of Tim's technique, I kind of did my own thing to achieve it by writing "love" with a Pebeo Relief Outliner
Additional notes:
  • The knocked out pieces of the lattice die became butterflies, adhered with Glossy Accents
  • Stickles in Black Diamond are the butterfly bodies and a casually-drawn border
  • The hanging apparatus is True Hemp metallic twine
  • I also added some Pebeo Relief Outliner in clear glitter to the mermaid wings
I'd also like to share this at Simon Says Stamp on Wednesday: Things With Wings.  The mermaids have wings, and so do the butterflies.  At one point the entire tag had wings but I didn't like them... I think I might make wings I like for it in the future... for now, the card itself does not fly!


  1. I think you've got plenty done on a small space and there's lots of interesting details and a beautiful piece! Got to start playing with a few library cards today, hope to get the projects finished during the week...

  2. Gorgeous tags. Love the beautiful images on the first tag. Thanks for playing along Simon Says Stamp Things with Wings Challenge. Gayatri xx

  3. Pretty tag! The vibe of the image really works well with the die-cut, subtle embellishments and coloring. You are very clever to use your own hand to write the word love in dimensional paint!