Tuesday, July 19, 2016

SOS! Make a matchbox!

YAY!  My creative wheels were SOOOO turning for the current challenge at Shopping Our Stash!

We are asking you, dear, crafters, to

Seriously, go on Pinterest (or anywhere that you get crafty inspration) and search "matchbook card" or anything like that... some people do some COOL stuff!!!  And, of course, you will find lots of inspiration by the girlies on the SOS Design Team!

Here's what yours truly came up with... it's a notepad made from old library catalog cards:

Don't mind my hands... helped the husband with the roofing... but notice the shine... ooooh....
See the cute snipped corners?
I added the perforated edge to the library catalog cards for ease of removing.

Supplies and notes:
  • The base is made from heavy kraft used in shipping textbooks-- I have collected and hoarded bunches of it, knowing I could use it somehow
  • The text is from a Nancy Drew mystery that I've been using since the last school year... it was missing pages and therefore facing the trash or recycling bin when I "rescued" it.  I adhered it with matte Mod Podge (6 months old) and then filed the edges with an old nail file (2 years old)
  • The colored brads at the bottom have been in my stash for years-- no idea the make... 7 Gypsies maybe.  They are in holes made by my old Crop-O-Dile, and holding in old library cards, of which I have thousands... talk about a stash...
  • The label plate is one from the old mill yard.  My husband lovingly pried them from an old cubby in the junk heap... my guess is 50-75 years old.  Best husband ever.  It is attached to the matchbook with Recollections brads-- in stash for many, many years
  • The acetate of roses was inserted into the label plate so as not to cover that wonderful old text!  I colored the Prima acetate (from 2008) with various Ranger brands of alcohol inks in Oregano and Butterscotch.  Glossy Accents is holding it in place.
  • The pen nib is the newest item on this creation-- bought these about two months ago.  I inked it with Oregano alcohol ink to help it match the label plate better... close enough...
  • For the aging of the matchbook, I inked it with Frayed Burlap DI and spritzed it with water.  Did that twice, actually.  The kraft pretty much drank the water... so after that, I decided to get more dramatic and rubbed it down with DecoArt Metallic Lustre in Gold Rush.  Yummo.
And just so it wasn't in vain, here is my very first attempt at making a matchbook when I saw this challenge come up:
This belongs to my daughter now.  It's made from DCWV paper and ancient brads.

So, what are you waiting for??? Isn't your creative brain ON FIRE???

Have fun!  Try something you have never tried and link up at Shopping Our Stash!


  1. ohhhhhhhhhhh how GLORIOUS is this??!?! i have project and stash envy right now... yowza... ♥♥♥

  2. PS: *how* did i not think of using brads instead of staples to hold the matchbook together??!?!? pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't tell the folks at eyelet outlet, i'll be drummed off the team in disgrace!!!

  3. Wow fabulous job!!! love all those "old" things you used. I get hubby to take apart old watches and clocks to get parts just incase there is something steampunk (that I'm not fond of)

  4. Oh my gosh, one of my favorite (and first) projects! I'll never forget the class I took about 15 years ago to learn this! FUN FUN FUN! Both are darling, great work!

  5. What an awesome project! It is so pretty! I love all that you did with it!

  6. How pretty! I love the yellow roses and all of that shine!! Gorgeous!!!

  7. A special little project. Need to google this to learn more about these and how to make them...