Sunday, April 24, 2016

Death's-head hawkmoth

Well, I had no butterfly motivation until today! Cutting it a little close...

Made this with Simon Says... Monday: Butterfly Beauty in mind.  I also recalled that Happy Little Stampers' current Mixed Media Challenge is "Wings".  Let's enter there, too, shall we?


  • The large tag was made with a scrap of chipboard from textbook packaging. I coated it with Liquitex gesso and dried it with a heat tool
  • I sprayed the tag with Fresh Lime and Vibrant Turquoise Dylusions, then mostly dried it... not all dry.  With the small drops left, I busted out my McDonald's straw (don't ask...) and blew them around.
  • Next I used a Dyan Reavely/ Dylusions stencil with skulls, sprayed with London Blue... this is when I thought to use the "butterfly" with the skull...  this is the point at which my project had a goal...
  • I outlined the edge of the tag with a fine sharpie, and also added the name and scientific genus
  • I made the tattered flower with Tim's/ Sizzix's dies last weekend, using an old Nancy Drew novel (it was missing pages, for you book lovers who just gasped...).  I inked it with miscellaneous sprays, plus it drew up color from my spray-tray (an old gift box)
  • The "butterfly" is actually a moth.  It is of the Acherontia genus... the group of three moths in the world with the vaguely human skull-like marking on the back.  I used a scrap tattered flower die and cut off two opposite petals.  I sprayed it with Fresh Lime and Crushed Grape... gave me these crazy colors.  Added one of Tim's skull and crossbones, coated with Adirondack alcohol ink in Mermaid, and affixed to the moth with E-3000.  I adhered some Wilton stamen for the antennae... dyed them with Mermaid also and also used E-3000 to adhere these to the back of the moth.
  • I mounted the whole moth to the middle of the flower with three layers of Ranger black foam tape... perfect for this project
  • I used various miscellaneous stamps, including Recollections, Stampington, all inked in MementoLuxe in Tuxedo Black
  • I used Pebeo Dimension Liner in Lead to add detail to the moth and to line the edges of the tag again
  • I hit a few edges of the tag with Tim's Distress Spray in Black Soot and dried it with my heat tool, then blotted it a bit


  1. Youthful! Cool! Spooky beauty! I've never seen a butterfly creation like this, you're so creative!

  2. Love the green and blues together on your tag, Mimi. Thanks for playing along at HLS MM.

  3. Just loving your design for this tag ! Great colours and decoration Mimi ! I have also become your latest blog follower.

  4. Great work. Thanks for joining us at HLS Mixed Media challenge this month Carol DT x

  5. wow
    I think this is a manly butterfly
    with that death head
    so artistic Mimi
    I am always afraid of death head and think of horror film
    but you made this butterfly so sweet
    I like it much