Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Where are my keys?

It's a battle in the house, and our teen isn't even driving yet.

So... look what I made!




This is my fave part!

Supplies and notes:
  • The base is a remnant of the old mill siding we used in siding the craft shack
  • The nails are from the original siding 
  • The arrow is a Tim Holtz piece, inked for another project with Stream Adirondack alcohol ink
  • The hanging apparatus is extra chicken wire from the spring battle with the squirrels, affixed with E-3000 
  • The label frame was pried off an old cubby shelf in the mill yard... husband pried a bunch off for me and I love to use them.  It is truly attached with E-3000 glue, but I used snipped Recollections brads in place of nails
  • The bird and heart were cut from some Spellbinders Media Mixage Copper Sheets.  I traced the bird from a Sibley calendar and cut it out with utility scissors.  Then I used a little hammer to hammer them... so cute! I edged both with DecoArt Metallic Lustre in Brilliant Turquoise.
  • The label is from the calendar.  I inked it with Vintage Photo Distress Stain and a bit of white Liquitex gesso.  The clear acetate over it is from Prima, and I inked it a bit with Gold Adirondack mixative
I love that this is functional art! It is so satisfying to me to meet a need!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool key hanger, Mimi. I love functional art too. Thanks for playing long at HLS Mixed Media Challenge for August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I have been itching to get back to inspect this post. I just love this, so clever and amazing. I love, love, love it and may try to copy for my kitchen. We broke our old key hook. Great inspiration glad to see you in 3D for a change! ;0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw this on your sidebar I wondered if I had ever properly congratulated you on this awesome win! And see that I didn't so, quite late, CONGRATS FRIEND! This is the coolest thing out there and deserved the recognition. Yay for you!

      Delete
  4. how funny and so true - my oldest always ran around, where are my keys, where are my keys - good idea - now they just have to put them there
    Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers
    Barb Housner (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome make!
    Thank you for sharing with Happy Little Stampers!
    Susan
    Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you cruel girl! You killed that poor bird with the nail in his stomach :P I guess if you put the nail in his head, it would be crues as well but he would get an eye at least :P Great project, I like it.

    ReplyDelete