Friday, August 19, 2016

Back to school-ish

Yep... back to school... with a side of "-ish"...

I've been putting in time at the el., distributing the new ELA curriculum.  Holy geez.  Only about 45 boxes left to distribute, but the awesome custodians are going to move them for me-- they kept offering to help,  and I finally accepted.

The teachers come back officially next week,  and the students are back the following week.  I think I'm finally ready to go back.  I wish we still had a month,  though...

This is a tag I made based on the first August sketch at Viva La Verve:


Here is the actual sketch:

Supplies and notes:

  • The background was another result of mopping up excess Liquitex gesso with a 7 Gypsies tag
  • A layer of Teresa Collins modeling paste through a Heidi Swapp stencil yielded the grid
  • I used a scrap of old sheet music with an old Dennison reinforcer down the center 
  • 7 Gypsies black masking tape created my horizontal element
  • The scalloped circle is the reverse-side of an old calendar diecut from years ago... I think it was made by either SEI or October Afternoon... the packaging is long gone.  I inked it up with some Scattered Straw DI-- which I also added around the tag
  • The black circle was punched with a Fiskars punch and stamped with an old sunflower (Stampendous  maybe...) and embossed with both black and white EP
  • The ribbon is another stash item-- possibly 10 years old
This will be cute on a back to school gift.  

Along with VLV, I'd like to share this at Creative Corner where the challenge is "three layers." Then there's also the current Blog Named Hero challenge: "a pop of color."

4 comments:

  1. I must get more messy and inky so I can try that mop up technique of yours. I think it gives such interesting result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great, I love that messy white on black embossing! Great focal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty; love the colors!!

    Thank you for joining us at A Blog Named Hero!!
    ~Michele, DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cool tag! Thanks for joining us for Viva la Verve!

    ReplyDelete