Tuesday, August 30, 2016

SOS: Try Something New

If you're stopping by to see what's up at Shopping Our Stash, you came to the right place!  If you are just stopping by for a drink as usual, HIIII, friends!  Clink-clink...

This week at SOS we are asking you to...

 TRY SOMETHING NEW! 

Some of us like to try new things, and some of us need a push... so either way, we all win!  It's time!

Here's my tag, in which my newly-tried technique was to add tissue texture:






Supplies!

This is my stash of remnant trim, ribbon, and string... anytime I cut excess, it goes in here.  


Supplies and notes:

  • Library card base coated with matte Mod Podge, then some tissue from my youngster's back-to-school shoes crinkled on.  (I have glued tissue on to tags before, but this time I really focused on the texture I was creating...)
  • Once dry, the excess tissue was trimmed away and I went to work with Tim's Distress Crayons... did not have a plan,  just colored and smeared
  • The blue portion was added last by lightly dabbing Broken China Distress Stain onto the open spots
  • The heart was just lying on my desk in a stack-- the results of a Fiskars punch into a failed inky panel (by the way,  the ink is Dylusions). It was accented with white Liquitex gesso and popped up with dimensional tape over one of Tim's arrows... I love this part. 
  • An under-utilized stash item (Pebeo Relief Liner in clear glitter) was used to outline the sun's rays and parts of the heart
  • The hanging apparatus is 100% stash also, made using a scrap of Tim's Eclectic Elements fabric,  which I braided with a few strands of red thread and attached with Recollections brads 
  • The quote... ahhhh... the quote is from a library catalog card from a choose-your-own-adventure type book based on Stars Wars. How wonderful is that? 

13 comments:

  1. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that is GLORIOUS, missus; full-on, all-out, far flippin' awesome in every respect. LOOOOOOOOVE it! yowza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job with the tissue paper, super use of your stash. Fabulous altered library card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An altered library card?!! With a Star Wars quote?!! This is freakin' AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So unbelievably cool! Love the way you incorporated the text and the awesome hanger! Just great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool cool cool cool!! I don't think I can say "Cool" enough times for this!! lol!! FABULOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are amazing, this challenge has opened my eyes to all of this new cool techniques!!!
    I love this gorgeous tag, goodness!! Fantastic textures and colors, you always show us the most ingenious ways to use our stash of papers and all of those little left over pieces of ribbons and fabric and now, tissue paper!!!!!
    I have a bag in the closet of this craft room where I put tissue paper from gift bags I've been given, I just can't seem to throw it away, it's so beautiful and now, I have a great way to use it so, thank you, thank you for the inspiration.
    Hugs,
    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are amazing, this challenge has opened my eyes to all of this new cool techniques!!!
    I love this gorgeous tag, goodness!! Fantastic textures and colors, you always show us the most ingenious ways to use our stash of papers and all of those little left over pieces of ribbons and fabric and now, tissue paper!!!!!
    I have a bag in the closet of this craft room where I put tissue paper from gift bags I've been given, I just can't seem to throw it away, it's so beautiful and now, I have a great way to use it so, thank you, thank you for the inspiration.
    Hugs,
    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been trying lots of things new to me lately, but now I'm out of ideas, lol. The effect of the crinkled up tissue paper looks awesome! A true sunshine piece this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, Mimi! I just love this result! Maybe... just maybe... I need to give this tissue paper thing a try. And, thanks for the idea for storing all those ribbon scraps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, Mimi! I just love this result! Maybe... just maybe... I need to give this tissue paper thing a try. And, thanks for the idea for storing all those ribbon scraps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wohoooo Mimi
    I knew that technique servietten Technique here in germany
    to use the tissue napking with nice motiv on pot or something you like
    but see this on your project wooww cooll
    and see you have so many Distress marker I am jealous
    i dont have it hehe
    lovely idea my friend
    see you around I post a new one and you have to join CWS challenge again this month okay sweety
    hugs
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a really great try! I love how it turned out! Lovely colors of the background and that sweeeeeeet heart! Great! I suggest to try new things more often :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a really great try! I love how it turned out! Lovely colors of the background and that sweeeeeeet heart! Great! I suggest to try new things more often :-)

    ReplyDelete