Tuesday, March 7, 2017

SOS: Cracked up!

Here we are at the latest Shopping Our Stash challenge and we are encouraging you, dear crafter, to use crackle medium (or employ a faux-crackle technique).

This is my offering:



This is a ton for word-clippings from books...

Supplies and notes:
  • The tin was originally a Newman's mint tin-- definitely a stash item as I can't seem to throw them away!
  • The lid was coated with black Liquitex gesso 
  • The text and bird (both pre-cut stash items) were adhered with Ranger Collage Medium in Vintage
  • Ranger Crackle Accents  was used to coat the lid.   Though I'm totally happy with the results, the crackling was not as prominent on this piece, and I'm thinking this was the result of the temperature and humidity in the craft shack.  My generous layer of the Crackle Accents didn't help any-- if it were thinner, it would have crackled more.
  • I used Prima Artisan Powder in Vintage  Ivory over the cracks.   This is definitely a stash item: I bought it months ago, and though I try to use it often, I am never like, "Wow, such an amazing product..."  in fact, this is the best thing I've ever done wth it. 
I love crackle paste and have tried at least three kinds, so if you don't have any, I recommend the $4 purchase, or try a variety of faux-crackle techniques and share wth us at Shopping Our Stash

9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous tin, love it. Fabulous job on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool project! Love that you altered a mint tin! I happen to like the way the crackle turned out on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely awesome! Love this tin. My friend Bonnie likes to put old tins in the fire and then alter them. The paint comes off and they have a wonderful aged appearance. I have one and you've inspired me to alter it. Love having the random book clippings. I've always loved using these! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cool way to reuse an old tin! I especially like the humor in the statement on the front of the tin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful old tin box Mimi, I can see the crackle effect on the lid, next to that beautiful image of the bird.
    I'm going to keep on practicing this technique, I really enjoy it and learning new things.
    Awesome job on the challenge.
    Hugs,
    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh Mimi this is an awesome re-purposing of the tin!
    Loves it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. as usual i am BLOWN AWAY missus!!!!!!!!! holy flippin' mackeral!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this . The 'she liked to clip things...' really makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A little box with sentiments to use is such a great idea! We have a few books to get rid of, thinking I might cut from them first. A project for a day with no mojo but the urge to be creative still. Wonderful box!

    ReplyDelete